ASEAN International Mobility for Students Program (AIMS)
The ASEAN International Mobility for Students (AIMS) program, formally known as M-I-T, aims to create a vibrant student mobility program for citizens of all SEAMEO member countries. It has a long history, emerging from the Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand (M-I-T) Student Mobility Pilot Project which was initiated in 2009 as collaboration between the governments of the three countries and SEAMEO RIHED. The M-I-T project was a pilot project. Following the success of the pilot project, it is now being turned into a fully-fledged ASEAN program. Additional Southeast Asian nations are now invited to join the efforts of the three existing countries, and collectively develop a regional Southeast Asian student mobility program. This section provides a background to the student mobility pilot project, including key partners, objectives and key events.
The ASEAN International Mobility for Students (AIMS) Program has been at the core of SEAMEO RIHED’s educational programs as indicated in our 4th Five-Year Development Plan to cultivate globalized human resources. To SEAMEO RIHED, student mobility has always been one of the key strategic elements of cooperation leading to the development of a harmonized higher education environment among countries in Southeast Asia. By 2015, it has been ambitiously agreed as a short-term goal among AIMS member countries that at least 500 students will be mobilized across the region, with expanding disciplines as well as memberships.
Thailand's commission of Higher Education designated five universities, which offer instruction in English, with international programs for each of the five fields of study: Agriculture, Tourism & Hospitality, Food Science, Arts, and Culture & Business.
The exchange period should be for at least one term, with a minimum of three subjects or 9 - 12 credits. Thailand's Commission of Higher Education offers scholarships to outbound students, including round-trip air fares (economy class only), international health insurance and living expenses at 800 $ USD per month.
AIMS - OUTBOUND
Overseas Universities that cooperate with PSU/Phuket under the AIMS Program:
Indonesia (Period of study: August - January)
Malaysia (Period of study: August - January)
1. International Affairs Center (IAC) will announce the University Announcement for PSU students to join the AIMS program via the IAC website and will post the announcement on the FHT Board on the first floor.
2. Interested students please email IAC - Attention: Ms. Ruthairat Konmai or P’ Tye - to get the application form 3. Submit the application form and required documents directly to IAC
4. IAC will announce the list of candidates who are applicable for interviewing with the committee via the IAC website
5. IAC will announce the selected candidates via the IAC Website
6. Selected students must confirm the application with IAC and process the visa applications, book air tickets and international health insurance (IAC will coordinate with overseas universities regarding accommodation, airport transfers and the registration process).
1. PSU Phuket students: First or second year in the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism Management (FHT)
2. Thai nationality 3. Grade point average at 3.00 or above
4. Achievement of the scores on any one of the following international standardized tests with validity not more than two years.
TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) at least 500
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
PBT (Paper-Based Test) at least 450
IBT (Internet-Based Test) at least 50
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) at least 4.5
Other English proficiency tests from Thai universities equivalent to specified TOEFL or IELTS Scores
• Three copies of 1-inch photograph
• Certified copy of your academic transcript
• Certified copy of your student identification card
• Certified copy of your passport
• Certified copy of English test Results (as per mentioned in the qualifications)
AIMS - INBOUND
Each year overseas universities will send their students to attend the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism for 1 semester under the AIMS Program. IAC will be contacted by the representatives from overseas universities under the AIMS program regarding the following:
• PSU Phuket registration
• Documents for VISA Application
• Accommodation and airport transfer arrangements
The following link is a PDF file containing the above information about the AIMS Program for Students: AIMS Program Details
During the academic year 2012, six students from the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism were selected to join the ASEAN International Mobility for Students Program (AIMS), a collaborative effort between the Southeast Asian Ministry of Education and the Commissions of Higher Education in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. The program enables university students from the three ASEAN countries to participate in both educational and cultural exchange. Students selected from PSU/Phuket attended two universities in Indonesia for one semester, from February until May 2013. The universities they attended were BINUS University and Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (UPI). The following are comments our students would like to share:
Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (UPI)
Mr. Niwet Usaha: “It was a blast!! I had an opportunity to do many activities with local students and also travel to famous attractions in Indonesia such as Bali and Yogyakarta. Moreover, I improved my English and learned a new language, Bahasa.”
Ms. Thanyatip Sataphan: “Indonesia is a wonderful country. During my visit I made a lot of friends from all over Asia and I got a chance to travel to famous attractions with new friends. I gained a lot of knowledge about Indonesian culture from my travel experience.”
Ms. Chalinee Chuchuay “It was a great experience joining this program. I had opportunities to learn Bahasa, meet new friends and travel around Indonesia.”
Ms. Khanittha Promdontri “They treated me like one of their family especially when I was admitted to the hospital. They gave me a warm welcome and looked after me. In addition, I had the opportunity to learn about a new culture and I learned to adapt to it. I made new friends and also improved my English.”
Ms. Kanokwan Tongkao “I had the opportunity to learn about a new culture, meet new friends, travel around Indonesia and improve my English."
Ms. Suwisa Wetchaka “I had a great time and learned new things from friends all over Asia. They made me feel comfortable even when I was far away from home.”